|Fishermen coming in with their catch early in the morning|
The ferry ride took about a little over an hour. We then hired a tricycle to Sta. Fe Resort. The resort is actually a few meters away from the port. About 5minutes ride.
I have been to Bantayan Island several times in the past and I enjoyed the trip all the time. What I love about Bantayan is that, it has the same fine white sand beach as the popular Boracay, but without the crowd. We had a great 3 days of mom-daughter bonding. Frolicking on the beach, riding the tricycle around the island to check out some of the places to see, "binge-eating", and just lazing around. What a very relaxing trip!
Bantayan Must-See and Must-Do:
1) St. Peter & Paul Church - a five-decade old church located in the town center. It is made of corals and stones from the island. It is the center of the island's unique Holy Week celebration.
|St. Peter & Paul Church (photo by pickled_newt)|
|Ogtong Cave (photo from the web)|
3) Island hop to Virgin Island (Or Sillion Island) - a privately owned island with same white sand beach as Bantayan. We passed up on this as I felt I had a fill of white sand beach already for this trip. But for hardcore beach bums, I recommend you go.
|Sillion Island (photo by Beach Placid Resort)|
5) Stroll along the glorious beach - did I say, that the sand is white and soft you can practically go barefoot? The beaches in Bantayan is worth the stroll. Unspoilt and no crowd!
|Inviting to just laze|
8) Try some water sports - snorkel or try the banana boat for that adrenaline rush.
9) Spend Holy Week here - they have a unique celebration during these holy days. You will see "lechon" (roasted pig) being paraded and/or served during this period. Being an island, seafood is their staple food and fishing is their livelihood. So, for them to join the Holy Week celebration, they were given special permission by the Catholic Church to eat meat to prevent them from fishing.
No, visitors are not exempted from abstaining from meat, even if they visit this place on said days. And most thought so.
10) Don't miss the sunrise - calming, peaceful, relaxing. Then, watch local fishermen come home with their catch. You may just be lucky and be offered to buy them at such a bargain.